Spironolactone is a drug used in lowering high blood pressure; helps prevent strokes, heart attacks, and kidney problems.
It is also used to treat swelling caused by certain conditions like congestive heart failure. It can aid n removing excess fluid and improving symptoms such as breathing problems.
Spironolactone is also used to treat low potassium levels and condition where the body is making too much of a natural chemical, aldosterone.
Many women having acne, who have not seen positive results with over-the-counter acne drugs have experienced better result and clearer skin with this medicine.
The US FDA has not approved Spironolactone for acne, but dermatologists all over the world are prescribing it to their clients with severe hormonal acne breakouts.
Spironolactone stalls testosterone production and has anti-androgen properties that block the effect of some male hormones, like testosterone, from binding to receptors that can cause oil production in your glands. Women who have high hormone levels tend to see more breakouts on the lower face, but the use of Spironolactone (also known by its brand name Aldactone) can be an effective way to stop that from happening.
Spironolactone Acne Treatment: Mechanism of action
Spironolactone acne treatment has an anti-androgen action that acts against the group of male hormones called androgens. This is produced more in some women and believed to be the reason behind their acne breakouts. Spironolactone blocks the androgen receptors and prevents the cells from absorbing these male hormones, helping to reduce hormonal fluctuations causing the acne.
Spironolactone acne treatment works only on women having hormonal acne, and studies conducted on this drug show that nearly 68% women with the tendency towards hormonal acne breakouts experienced improvement or complete clearing of their skin with spironolactone.
Usage Directions for Aldactone
- Take this medication orally, as directed by an expert, and if stomach upset occurs, take it with food or milk.
- It is best to take your dose early in the day, so as to prevent having to get up during the night to urinate.
- Dosage should be based on your medical condition and response to therapy.
- Take this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it, and remember to use it at the same time(s) each day as directed by your doctor.
- Do not increase your dose on your own, or take it more often than prescribed.
- Also, do not stop using this medicine without first consulting your doctor, and if your condition may become worse when the drug is suddenly stopped, ensure to inform your doctor.
- When taking Spironolactone acne treatment, dermatologists suggest that you start with 50 to 100mg daily dose; the lowest dose is usually prescribed first to see the results and gradually worked up over the course of next few days or weeks.
- Doctors also take a complete medical history of the patient to determine an appropriate dosage based on individual medical situations.
- You must drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water daily, as Spironolactone is a diuretic.
- If any side effects of Spironolactone acne treatment are noticed, it is important to notify the provider or your doctor.
Many people using this medication do not experience serious side effects, but Spironolactone may lead to high levels of potassium, especially in patients with kidney problems. Very high potassium levels can be fatal if not treated.
Inform your doctor immediately if you notice the following symptoms of severe allergic reactions:
- slow/irregular heartbeat,
- muscle weakness,
- a persistent sore throat,
- severe stomach/abdominal pain,
- persistent nausea/vomiting,
- vomit that looks like coffee grounds,
- dark urine,
- yellowing of the eyes/skin, and
- Easy bruising/bleeding.
Side effects include:
- Dry mouth
- Irregular menstrual cycle with spotting
- Breast tenderness
- Constant thirst
- Increased potassium levels in the blood
- Lower blood pressure
- Nausea and vomiting
- Upset stomach, cramps or diarrhea
Before taking spironolactone, it is recommended that you consult your doctor or pharmacist, and inform them if you have any other allergies.
As stated already, Spironolactone may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other complications. Make sure to talk to your pharmacist or doctor, who knows your medical history, for more details before using this medication.
Read these articles on: