Baking soda has long been a home remedy for so many things and is a great way to clean your hair.
A regular maintenance routine is vital for healthy hair, and that process may, or may not, include various methods of conditioning, treating and styling. No matter how many steps you choose to incorporate, shampooing will most likely remain invariable.
Regarding conventional shampoos, there are numerous chemicals in them which may actually cause damage to your hair and skin over time. In fact, of the many chemical ingredients used in personal care products, only 11% have been assessed for health and safety.
These products on the market promise clean hair and a healthy scalp, but they don’t inform you of the harmful ingredients contained in most shampoos found on the shelf.
Thus, while your favorite product may do a wonderful job at cleansing your hair, it may inadvertently be creating more harm than good, as the harsh chemicals can make your hair dry, brittle and eventually cause severe damage.
Natural Baking Soda Shampoo
Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is an inexpensive and easy way to illuminate your hair. It is effective because the compound is great for removing acidic impurities. The slightly abrasive particles and mild alkaline nature make baking soda an effectual option for shampooing.
The components of baking soda will break up any dirt collected on the scalp and eliminate any grease accumulated from the secretions of sebaceous glands.
Baking soda shampoo is extremely effective in leaving your hair and scalp clean and appears to be safe to use for most people as well as various hair types and textures. It is not known as a familiar irritant.
- ¼ cup baking soda
- ¾ cup of purified water
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- clean shampoo bottle
- Baking Soda
- Mix 1 part baking soda to 3 parts water (leave a small amount of space at the top so that you can shake the mixture to mix).
- Shake mixture to mix evenly.
- Add the lavender, and shake again making sure all ingredients are well blended.
- Wet your hair systematically.
- Pour/squeeze onto scalp, and gently massage into your entire scalp
- Let the mixture sit for 1-3 minutes.
- You can additionally comb mixture through to the ends of hair.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
You may not get the foamy bubbly action that you are used to getting with regular shampoo, but don’t worry; it’s still doing the trick.
In the event you find yourself without water or can’t use water on your head temporarily, you can also use baking soda as a dry shampoo.
- Just sprinkle a little on your scalp,
- comb through to the ends of your hair and
- then fluff your hair with a blow dryer.
The hair is usually in the neighborhood of 4.5–5 pH level and baking soda can be highly alkaline in nature. Do not overuse, as it can change the pH balance of the hair, and result in the hair becoming brittle and weak.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a natural, chemical free and earth-friendly way to cleanse your hair and leave it smooth and shiny, give the baking soda shampoo recipe a try.