Aphthous stomatitis, canker sores, is mysterious mouth ulcers that have afflicted most people. It has not have been totally known what causes these painful spots on the inside of the mouth.
However, it is believed that biting your cheek or inside of your lip, braces rubbing, stress, genetics, and a malfunctioning immune response are probable causative contributors.
Canker sores usually start as a red patch of oval skin, and typically become increasingly swollen and develop a yellow or whitish spot in the middle.
Good news is that, with a handful of natural ingredients, you can relieve the pain they cause.
Read Also: Fever Blister: Causes, Remedies, and More
Peppermint and Eucalyptus Essential Oil Numbing Spray
Peppermint and eucalyptus essential oil both contain anti-inflammatory components. It also possibly works as anti-microbial agents, thus reducing the chance of infection.
It also works as an astringent that helps tighten the tissues around the wound, relieving further discomfort caused by inflammation or fluid buildup. The soothing properties of Peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils can also numb the nerve endings that are aching.
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons of olive or grapeseed oil,
- 10 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 8 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and
- a glass mister bottle
- Pour the olive or grapeseed oil into a glass mister bottle,
- put in the essential oils
- Cover, shake well and spray some directly onto the canker sore as required for pain relief.
- Always shake before each use.
Coconut oil contains Anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial properties. It also has an incredible taste and is almost fail-safe when it comes to fending off canker sores.
- Coconut oil
- Using clean hands or a cotton swab, drench a liberal amount of coconut oil onto the sore.
- Get a somewhat thick layer or clump on there (coconut oil dissolves quickly).
- If you can’t get it to stick, melt a tablespoon with a half teaspoon of beeswax to thicken it.
Clove oil is a powerful painkiller and contains eugenol. It has been used by dentists through years to bring relief to patients and is still used today, although in a pure extracted form.
Clove oil remains important for oral pain going from toothaches to canker sores.
- a half teaspoon of olive oil,
- 4-5 drops of clove essential oil
- Cotton balls and
- Warm water/salt water
- Swish your mouth with warm water or salt water to get it clean.
- Mix the clove oil with the olive oil
- steep a cotton ball in it and apply the cotton ball directly to the sore for 5-8 minutes for numbing relief.
Honey has anti-bacterial and potentially anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, raw organic honey makes a delightfully soothing coating for a painful canker sore.
- a wee dab of organic raw honey and
- Warm water
- Swish your mouth with some warm water,
- apply a thick dab of organic raw honey directly to the sore.
- Reapply 2 to 3 times a day (at least one of those times should be before night). It seems to do best when you aren’t disturbing it by talking or eating.
The gel from aloe vera plant wields mighty powers when it comes to soothing canker sores. Make sure to use natural gel.
- a teaspoon of aloe vera gel and
- tablespoon of water
- mix the gel into the water
- Swish it gently over the sore 3 time’s daily to ease the pain and facilitate healing.
Tips to Help with Canker Sore
- Stop eating acidic foods when you have a canker sore, as they can prolong the healing process. Acidic foods may trigger canker sores in some people. Oddly enough, some circumstantial evidence has suggested that a bit of very acidic juice like lemon juice can sometimes help with Canker sores.
- Mix and match the remedies already mentioned above. E.g rinses with aloe and then follows up with honey, or clove oil.
- Pay attention to your body, and if you find yourself suffering from canker sores every time, take time off to observe good rest.