Garlic and onions are known to be high in sulfur and compounds that help to remove heavy metals from the body. They can help prevent kidney damage caused by exposure to heavy metals. Garlic and other sulfur-rich foods also help our body produce more glutathione, an antioxidant which reacts with, and carries toxins out of the body.
- Vitamin B1 is well known to increase the excretion of lead from the body. It is naturally found in peas, spinach, and pistachios, and diets with sufficient vitamin B1 inhibits lead absorption and show a relationship with lower levels of lead in the blood.
- Vitamin E has been proven to be an antioxidant shown to protect the body from methylmercury. Sunflower seeds, avocados, and almonds are high in Vitamin E, and avocados in particular are known to improve the health of your liver, which is the body’s primary detoxing organ.
- Optimal hydration and drinking plenty of clean water every day is known to help our body eliminate toxins by keeping the kidneys and bowels active.
- Cilantro, also known as Chinese parsley, enhances our body’s ability to detox from heavy metals such as lead and mercury, and scientific result has shown it to effectivelypurify drinking water that is contaminated with these toxins.
- Zinc is known to safeguard the kidneys from cadmium and can eliminate the symptoms of cadmium toxicity in our body. Garbanzo beans and pumpkin seeds are known to be high in zinc.
- The ultimate lifestyle ‘detox’ rule is not smoking, exercising and enjoying a healthy balanced diet, mostly from natural sources.
Foods to Include In a Detox Diet Plan
A good detox plan should include fresh, frozen, or dried fruits like apples, bananas, pears, oranges, grapefruit, raisins, pineapple, mango, kiwi fruit, strawberries, star fruit, raspberries, blackcurrants, nectarines, peaches, melons etc.
Fruit juice should also be included in the plan. It is best to make homemade fruit juices or smoothies from fresh fruit, or buy natural ready-made juices, ensuring that the ready-made juices are labelled as being pure.
Consume vegetables carrots, tomatoes, onions, turnip, peppers, swede, sprouts, cabbage, peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn, leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, salad, cucumber, spring onions etc…as much as available.
Fish to including are cod, plaice, mackerel, salmon, lobster, crab, trout, haddock, tuna, prawns, Dover sole, red mullet, etc. Canned fish is also appropriate.
Unsalted nuts and Unsalted seeds
Eat any nut that is not salted, like peanuts, almonds, cashew, hazel nuts, macadamia, pecans, pine nuts, pistachio, walnuts etc. Also eat any unsalted seeds too, including sunflower and pumpkin.
Other kinds of foods to include are Beans and lentils (red kidney, haricot, cannellini, butter, black eye, pinto, red lentils, green and brown lentils), Oats, all types of Potatoes, brown rice and rice noodles, rye crackers, rice cakes and oatcakes.
Natural yoghurt, Virgin olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, Garlic and ginger, Fresh herbs, Honey and Water (at least 2 liters a day) or herbal/fruit teas
More on Nutrition for Detoxification
Fruits and vegetables are rich in flavonoids and carotenoids, which are linked to a host of medical benefits, and studies have found the following fruits and vegetables to be good for preventing breast cancer:
- dark, green, leafy vegetables
- citrus fruit