Cracked heels look ugly, and can be downright painful. The feet are among the most attractive features of the human body, and there are times we can’t help but have to show our feet to the world (along with all the calluses, blisters and cracks that they carry with them).
Cracked feet are a sign of lack of attention towards your body. It is a nightmare for most women. The skin on the feet becomes drier as there are no oil glands present there, and this dryness causes the skin to crack.
Lack of moisture, overexposure to pollution, and some medical conditions such as eczema, diabetes, and psoriasis can all lead to dry and cracked feet.
Home Remedies For Cracked Heels
Vaseline and Lemon Juice Remedy
Vaseline is a moisturizer, and the citric acid in lemon juice promotes skin peeling and regrowth of new skin cells.
To prepare this remedy, you will need:
- 1 teaspoon Vaseline
- 4 to 5 drops lemon juice, and
- Warm water
- Soak your feet in warm water for about 20 minutes.
- Remove feet, rinse and pat dry.
- Mix one teaspoon of Vaseline and a few drops of lemon juice together.
- Rub this mixture over your heels and other cracked parts of the feet till it gets absorbed.
- Wear a pair of woolen socks, and keep it overnight. Woolen socks help trap the body’s heat and increase the success of the mixture
- Wash off in the morning.
Lemon has acidic properties and Vaseline has moisturizing properties, both of which will help you get rid of dry, cracked and achy feet. You should regularly do this before going to bed.
Honey is a natural substance that draws water from the inner tissues to the outer layers of the skin. This fluid drawing and shift create a plumping effect that helps the outer skin heal.
- Add one cup of honey to a tub of warm water.
- Soak your feet in the mixture,
- Gently massage for 20 minutes, and then gently exfoliate your skin using a pumice stone.
- Pat your feet dry,
- Apply a thick moisturizer like Vaseline.
This can be done regularly before going to bed, and it is guaranteed to help fix your cracked heels.
Paraffin Wax Natural Remedy
Paraffin wax is a good treatment for cracked and painful heels and can act as a natural emollient that helps soften your skin.
For this remedy, you will need:
- 1 tablespoon paraffin wax
- 2 to 3 drops mustard/coconut oil
- Take some paraffin wax and mix it with coconut oil.
- Heat the mixture in a pan till the wax melts as it should be.
- Allow this to cool down to room temperature.
- Apply the mixture on your feet.
- Apply before going to bed and wear a pair of socks for best results.
- Wash off properly in the morning.
You should do this once or twice a week before going to bed for fast result. Do not dip your feet in the wax when it is hot, and do not try this treatment if you’re a diabetic patient.
Baking Soda For Cracked Heels
Baking soda is an exfoliator that help removes dead cells. It also possesses anti-inflammatory properties, and can also neutralize foul odor.
- Add 3 tablespoons of baking soda to a bowl of lukewarm water.
- Mix well until the baking soda melts.
- Soak your feet in this for 20 minutes
- Remove your feet after 15 – 20 minutes
- Scrub gently with a pumice stone.
- Rinse with clean water, and
- Dry your feet with a clean towel.
- Repeat the procedure twice a week.
Coconut Oil Treatment for Cracked Heels
Moisturizing cracked heels and toes overnight is a pretty standard way of treating them. However, oils moisturizers tend to work better than lotions because lotions absorb into the skin more quickly.
Coconut oil is really hydrating for the skin and moisturizes dry skin. It also removes dead skin cells and has to ability to penetrate to the deeper layers of the skin and nourish them.
Coconut oil is great for this because it stays solid at room temperature, making it easier to apply without making a mess.
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- A pair of socks
- Apply the oil liberally on your feet.
- Slip on the socks to increase efficacy
- Go to bed.
- Wash off or shower as usual in the morning.
Repeat this for a few days to heal cracked heels, eliminate cracked heels fungus and get soft feet.